Monday, November 23, 2009

Flight 11/22/09 35 min.. total 11 hrs

Overcast! But promising to clear. I'm trying to get at least 4,000 ft so I can head to GFL and Garnsey. Trying out the KLX 135A GPS/ Comm on a short cross country. A lot to learn just programming in a few airports.

Bob Ulliano says my cooling problems may have been from cruising too slowly! I added half a quart of oil anyway. On take off the CHT still went right up to red line. Leveling off at 800 ft and gaining 130 kts is the only way I know to cool it off again. I have to circle the airport after every take off.

The GPS is wonderful, except it refuses to take me to GFL. It will only take me to Garnsey! So that's where I went. I followed the turn anticipation system to the next heading and noticed a vibration. Seemed like a prop/ spinner imbalance, or perhaps my imagination. Whatever, I turned back towards Saratoga only to find myself completely blinded by the western sun and lousy haze. Not two miles visibility! Can hardly see my own instruments. Now I'm almost dependent on the GPS. How do you make it take you back? The test is on.

All the numbers are there. The bearing to the airport, your ground track, etc.

The vertical card compass looks a lot like a directional gyro and it works well........ as long as you are standing still. It has all the ills of a magnetic compass. Again, it works, but when you're in a pinch you're really in a pinch. The brain strain is significant. What will happen on a real cross country?

No comments:

Post a Comment